1830 Cumberland Hall is built and immediately attracts a cluster of homes primarily constructed by the laborers who had worked on the National Road.
1830 Warren Township population is 617.
1831 Cumberland platted by Henry Brady on July 7.
1838 Cumberland Road connected to Washington Street.
1842 Cumberland Post Office established.
1855 St. John’s Evangelical and Reformed Church established by German immigrants.
1901 Carl Sonnerschmidt and Herman Junge establish Smith and Young Greenhouses.  It will become one of the largest rose-growing nurseries in Indiana.
1925 Warren Township’s first high school building is constructed to house students from the former Cumberland and Shadeland High Schools and is called “Warren Central.”  The majority of students come from farming families. The school has 11 faculty members and 262 students.
1930 St. John Evangelical Church celebrates 75th anniversary.  400 members and 100 associate members.
1931 Harlan, Sprague, Dawly Inc begins as breeder of lab animals for research.  Eventually will employ 120 in Cumberland and 800 worldwide.
1941 Rev. Rex Larue Jensen is new pastor at Cumberland Baptist Church.
1946 Lions Club forms with 46 charter members.
1950 Population: 6,000.  Main deterrent to growth is bad roads.  There is a movement to connect to Indianapolis telephone exchanges in order to eliminate telephone toll charges.
1959 Town of Cumberland agrees to bond-financed $241,000 town waterworks.  230 residents agree to switch from well water to city water.
11 candidates seek 5 Cumberland positions in election.
1961 Groundbreaking for $60,000 Cumberland Methodist Church.
1963 Population boom means that Cumberland needs to solve sewage problem.  Current population is 900, projected growth to 4,000 very quickly.  New sewer system costs: $176,000.
Cumberland Farm Bureau grain elevator and building destroyed by fire.
First Baptist Church of Cumberland celebrates 50th anniversary.
1967 Cumberland Heights subdivision is developed.
1969 Cumberland Town Board votes itself raises that mean the Clerk-Treasurere of Cumberland will make more than the mayor of Lawrence a nearby larger town.
1970 Edward J. DeBartolo announces plans to build Washington Square Shopping Center on 150 acres at East Washington Street from Mitthoeffer Rd. To East 10th St.  The Metropolitan Plan Commission requred DeBartolo to participate in the financing of required street improvements in the area. DeBartolo refers to the new mall as a “shopping city.” Scheduled opening date is 1972.
Citizens circulate patition for referendum to strike $11,000 from town budget, set new salaries for town employees, and redistrict the 12,000 people of the town for better representation on Town Board.  Also plan to drop town Marshal Office and use Metro Indy Police force instead.
Cumberland Clerk-Treasurer and twoformer Town Board members are indicted by grand jury on 58 counts of unlawful activities.
Population: 1,500.
Under Unigov, Cumberland is an included town.
1972 Smith & Young Greenhouses closes.
First matter of business of new Town Board is to vote a pay slash.
Construction of the subdivision Glen Oaks begins.
Washington Square, whose opening was delayed while its developer built Castleton Square Mall, is now scheduled to open in 1974.  Approximately 2500 persons will be employed with a payroll for the retail employees of up to $18 million per year.
1977 Assessed valuation of Cumberland Heights is $970,870.  Assessed value of Glen Oaks is $1,430,410.
Mulit-million dollar Mount Comfort Airport opens on 1,200 acres about 4 miles east of the Marion County line and about a mile from Glen Oaks subdivision.
1978 Police force consisits of a marshal, three full-time deputies, and one part-time deputy.  This manpower is almost double from two years earlier.
Town Board attempts to annex 300 acres, but a majority of the land owners opposed the annexation and the board agrees to annex only 157 acres owned by a land developer.
The opening of I-70 has turned the far eastside of Indianapolis into a mecca for home construction.
1980 Population: 3,400.
Town pays $12,685 to architects for new town hall design, but the original construction site becomes unavailable.
1983 Electra Corporation, the town’s largest employer, is moving to Mexico. Town loses almost 400 jobs.
1984 On-going discontent and problems with the town board and the town marshal result in 3 clerk-treasurers within the year, a federal law suit over the firing of the marshal, and the resignation of the board president.
1985 Developers of Washington Pointe Centre, a strip mall, purchase 40 acres between Washington St. and East 10th St. just east of Washington Square.  The project will cost a projected $35 million.
Town marshal’s lawsuit is thrown out of court.
1986 Cumberland Area Chamber of Commerce is organized.
1988 Cumberland Town Board considers $2 million project to help town retain “its identity in the face of growing development to the west,” and to “keep Cumberland from looking like Washington Square in five years.”  Plan includes new streets, walkways and beautification.
1990 Population: 4,500.
Fourteen churches located in Cumberland.
1991 Cumberland has grown beyond official town limits and now encompasses parts of Buck Creek and Sugar Creek in Hancock County.
Cumberland Area Chamber of Commerce has 121 members.
Town opens a new $524,000 Town Hall at 11501 E. Washington Street. The facility houses the police department, offices of the clerk-treasurer, plan commission, park department, and building inspector.
1994 The Chamber of Commerce’s seventh annual Chamberfest will begin Thursday at the Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club/ Marsh parking lots at 10859 and 10901 E.  Washington St.   The festival runs over four days and offers everything from a  talent show to a queen contest to a three-ring circus. All but the  circus are free.  Residents view the festival as a means of pulling the community together.
Among concerns mentioned by Hancock County Commissioners candidates is the expanding of Cumberland into Hancock county.  One candidate counts this as one of his major concerns.