Greater Southeast

A TIMELINE OF FAITH AND COMMUNITY: GREATER SOUTHEAST, 1820 TO 1997

1820 Delaware Indians abandon camp on Pleasant Run to leave Indiana.
1835 Calvin Fletcher and Nicholas McCarty purchase a 264-acre farm.  It will become the Fountain Square neighborhood.
1839 Calvin Fletcher moves his family into Wood Lawn, a farm on the edge of what becomes the Fountain Square neighborhood.
1840 The Irish Hill neighborhood begins to form, populated by Irish immigrants.
1853 Calvin Fletcher sells half of his Wood Lawn farm to a group of Ohio businessmen.
1854 The Holy Rosary-Danish Church neighborhood, located one-half mile southeast of Monument Circle, is platted.  The neighborhood is first inhabited by Germans, Irish, Scots, and Welsh laborers.
1855 Fletcher has sold the entire farm, and it is platted for sale.
1858 Alexander Hannah builds the Hannah House, a 24-room mansion situated along his private toll road.
1859 St. Paul’s German Evangelical Lutheran Church builds a school, on the corner of East and Georgia Streets.
1860 School No. 8 is opened at 520 Virginia Avenue with a staff of eight teachers.
1861 St. Paul’s German Evangelical Lutheran Church builds a new sanctuary next to St. Paul’s Lutheran School, and an addition is added to the school.
1864 Citizens Street Railway Company extends a mule-drawn streetcar line down Virginia Avenue as far as Shelby and Prospect Streets.
1865 St. Peter’s Catholic Church is established at 950 Prospect Street to serve the Irish immigrants in the neighborhood.
1867 St. Paul’s Lutheran School is expanded again.
Olivet Baptist Church is founded.
German General Protestant Orphans Home (today known as Pleasant Run Children’s Home) is founded.
1870 German immigrants open shops and stores on Virginia Avenue.
1871 Upon dedication of its new building, St. Peter’s Catholic Church changes its name to St. Patrick.
1872 Fletcher’s Wood Lawn farm has been re-platted and renamed Fletcher Place.
St. Paul’s German Evangelical Lutheran Church and School establish a branch on the north side of the city.
Fletcher Place (United) Methodist Church is built at 501 Fletcher Avenue.
Danish residents of the Holy Rosary-Danish Church neighborhood build Trinity Lutheran Church and a parsonage on McCarty Street.
1873 A Methodist Episcopal congregation first meets at a site at Woodlawn and Laurel.
1874 Southern Driving Park opens on the south side.
The Concord Center is founded as part of the settlement house movement.
1875 Sacred Heart Parish is established by five Franciscan Friars from Saxony, and the first church building and school are erected by the end of the year.  The parish serves the German Catholic community on the city’s south side.
1876 Eli Lilly and Company opens on Pearl Street, south of Washington Street.
1879 A Methodist Episcopal congregation erects a building at 1006 Laurel Street, named for a pioneer circuit rider, Edwin Ray.
  1. 1880
A thriving Jewish community begins forming on the city’s near south side.  In 1906 a small group of Sephardic Jews from the Ottoman Empire also settles in this neighborhood.
1881 Southern Driving Park is renamed for the recently assassinated President James A. Garfield.
Forty charter members meet at Mueller’s School House on Ohio Street and form Immanuel Evangelical and Reformed Church.
1882 Immanuel Evangelical and Reformed Church purchase property at 402 Prospect Street.
School No. 28 (Henry W. Longfellow School) is built at 931 Fletcher Avenue.
1883 St. Paul’s German Evangelical Lutheran Church, founded in 1842, moves to the Fountain Square area.
St. Paul’s and Trinity Lutheran Church form the Lutheran Orphan’s Home Association.
1884 An eight-room structure is added to School No. 8 (later Calvin Fletcher School), and the new structure becomes High School No. 2 (precursor of Manual High School).
1885 Samuel P. Lorber’s Saloon opens at 1638-40 East Prospect.
1888 Koehring and Sons, Inc., a residential heating company, opens.
1889 A fountain is erected at the intersection of Virginia Avenue and Shelby and Prospect Streets.  The Fountain Square neighborhood soon derives its name from this fountain.
1890 School No. 31 (Lillian M. Reiffel School) is built at 307 East Lincoln Street.
1891 Second English Evangelical Lutheran Church (later named St. Mark’s) is founded and begins meeting at 647 Virginia Avenue.
Construction (begun in 1884) is completed on the new Sacred Heart Catholic Church on Union Street.
1892 Completion of the Virginia Avenue viaduct opens the southeast side to commuting workers and results in a significant increase in commercial growth in the Fountain Square neighborhood.
School No. 34 is organized at the corner of Shelby and Bradbury Streets.
1893 Second English Lutheran Church relocates to 1001 Hosbrook Street.
1894 Immanuel Evangelical and Reformed Church is built at 402 Prospect Street.
1895 High School No. 2 is relocated to 501 South Meridian Street, and its name is changed to the Emmerich Manual Training High School.
School No. 39 (William McKinley School) is opened at 801 South State Street.
1896 Branch No. 3 of the Marion County Public Library opens at Woodlawn and Linden Streets.
St. John’s Evangelical and Reformed Church founded (later named St. John’s United Church of Christ) at Sanders and Leonard Streets.
1899 Emmanuel Baptist Church is founded at 920 South Laurel Street.
1900 Held at Garfield Park, Fountain Square’s May Day Celebration becomes known as a big event in the days before World War I.
Olivet Baptist Church leaves Beech Grove in the early 1900s and begins meeting at a location at Prospect and Leonard Streets.
1900 The Southside Turnverein, a German athletic and community center, opens on Prospect Street.
1901 Abraham Lincoln School No. 18 is opened at 1001 East Palmer Street.
1903 A pagoda, built to house musical performances, is added to Garfield Park.
1904 Emmaus German Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod) is built at 1224 Laurel Street.  St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church organizes the church to serve the second wave of German immigrants who are settling in the Fountain Square neighborhood.
1905 School No. 8 is renamed for Calvin Fletcher.
The Morris Street (United) Methodist Church, an outgrowth of Ames Methodist Church, is built at 355 East Morris Street.
University Heights Evangelical United Brethren Church is organized.
Indiana Central University opens.  Located on an eight-acre campus, the university is founded by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ.
1907 University Heights incorporates as a town.  It began as a housing development of 446 lots in association with the formation of Indiana Central University and the Church of the United Brethren in Christ.
1908 Fountain Square Bank opens.
1909 Fountain Square Theater opens at 1058 Virginia Avenue.
Holy Rosary Parish is founded.  Organized to serve the city’s Italian population, it is the first Italian national parish in Indiana.
1910 Second English Lutheran Church changes its name to St. Mark’s Evangelical English Lutheran Church.
The Airdome Theater, later known as the Green Theater, opens at 1044-46 Virginia Avenue.
St. Catherine of Sienna Catholic Church is dedicated.  The parish primarily serves the city’s German Catholic community.
1911 Edwin Ray Methodist Episcopal Church is lifted, turned, and rebuilt at 1006 Laurel Street.
1912 A 25-acre tract is added to Garfield Park, extending its boundaries to Shelby Street.
1913 Josie Ragale organizes a settlement house under the auspices of Fletcher Place Methodist Episcopal Church.
A Conservatory is added to Garfield Park.
The Sanders (Apex) Theater is built by Frederick W. Sanders on the site of the Fountain Airdome Theater.
Laurel Street Tabernacle (Assemblies of God) is organized at Prospect and Laurel Streets.
1914 School No. 34 moves into its new building at 1410 Wade Street.  The vacated building on Shelby Street is turned into the Shelby Branch of the Indianapolis Public Library.
A 14-acre tract (purchased for $50,000) is added to Garfield Park’s southeast corner.
School No. 21 is built at 2815 English Avenue.
1915 Laurel Street Tabernacle constructs a church building.
A four-room addition is built on School No. 8.  Shop and home economic classes are introduced to the curriculum.
Sacred Heart Catholic High School opens.
Fire Station No. 29 is built at 2302 Shelby Street.
St. Elizabeth’s Maternity Hospital and Infant Home opens.
The city annexes much of the Yoke family farm around Garfield Park.
1916 Emmanuel Baptist Church erects its present building at 920 Laurel Street.
Built at a cost of $32,000, Garfield Park’s sunken gardens and fountains are completed and Garfield Park becomes the first public park in the country to have electric fountains.
The Pennsylvania Railroad begins elevating its tracks, necessitating the destruction of a significant number of homes in the Irish Hill neighborhood.
1918 The Bair Theater closes.
1919 Victory Memorial Methodist Protestant Church opens at 1928 Woodlawn Avenue.
1920 A 1,226-seat outdoor theater is added to Garfield Park.
Immanuel Evangelical and Reformed Church changes its official language for services from German to English as a result of anti-German feeling during World War I.
Calvary Evangelical United Brethren Church organizes and locates at 725 South State Street.
One man is killed and several others are injured when the “steel superstructure of a four-story building under construction” at Emmerich Manual Training High School collapses.
School No. 72 opens at 1202 East Troy Avenue.
1921 St. Mark’s Evangelical English Lutheran Church sells its Hosbrook structure to the Salvation Army and relocates to its present site at 1301 East Prospect Street.
1922 Fountain Square Bank closes.
The Home News combines with the Southside Newsin 1922 to serve as the southside’s local paper.
St. Roch Parish is founded.
1923 The town of University Heights is annexed by Indianapolis.
1924 School No. 34 is named in honor of long-time principal Eleanor Skillman following her retirement.
1925 Holy Rosary Catholic Church is completed.
1926 Indiana Central University adds an additional fifty acres to its campus.
St. Paul’s (German Evangelical) Lutheran Church completes construction of a new school facility at Weghorst and Wright Streets.  St. Paul’s (Evangelical) Lutheran School is built at a cost of $90,000.
1927 St. Patrick’s four-year-old building is destroyed in a fire set by an arsonist.
The Fountain Square Post Office opens.
Olivet Missionary Baptist Church moves to 1001 Hosbrook Street.
Newly formed Grace Baptist Church builds its current structure at 1907 East Woodlawn.
St. Mark’s Evangelical English Lutheran Church builds an addition to its structure.
1928 The (second) Fountain Square Theater opens at 1105-15 South Shelby Street.
The Indianapolis Foundation builds the Delavan Smith Athletic Field and presents it to Emmerich Manual Training High School.
The Federal government moves a monument dedicated to Confederate Soldiers from Greenlawn Cemetery (at Kentucky Avenue and West Street) to Garfield Park.
1929 The Granada Theater opens at 1045 Virginia Avenue.
The G.C. Murphy Company opens a store at 1053-55 Virginia Avenue.
1930 The Greater Southeast area’s total population is 65,935.
Greater St. James Baptist Church organizes at 835 St. Paul Street.
A swimming pool is added to the facilities at Garfield Park.
Goodwill Industries comes to Indianapolis under the auspices of the Fletcher Place United Methodist Church.
1931 University Heights Evangelical United Brethren Church (now University Heights United Methodist Church) moves into its first permanent building.
1932 The Fletcher Pentecostal Church is founded on Prospect Street.
1934 School No. 18’s paper, the Lincoln Log, is awarded a superior rating in a nation-wide contest sponsored by Kappa Pi Beta.
1935 School No. 39’s news magazine, the Broadcaster, receives an All American Honor Rating from the National Scholastic Press Association and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
1937 Fletcher Place United Methodist Church establishes the Fletcher Place Community Center.
1939 The Spotlight, a southside weekly paper, is founded.
1940 The Greater Southeast area’s total population is 71,366.
School No. 20, at 1849 Pleasant Run Parkway, South Drive, is named in honor of Otis East Brown, who was killed in action during World War I.
Fletcher Pentecostal Church erects a new building and changes its name to Calvary Tabernacle.
1946 The PTA and the Federation of Churches institute a Week-Day-Religion project at School No. 39.
Calvary Tabernacle opens Calvary Christian School, which is joined to the church at 902 Fletcher Avenue.
1949 The NAACP and the Community Relations Council launch a campaign to end discrimination at Fountain Square movie theaters following their refusal to sell tickets to African-American patrons.  After talks with the management and the threat of lawsuits, the theaters are successfully integrated.
1950 Fountain Square Church of Christ is organized by Irvington Church of Christ.  The new congregation takes up residence in a building at Spruce and Prospect Streets.
The Greater Southeast area’s total population peaks at 78,284.
Laurel Street Tabernacle moves to 1601 Laurel Street, across from its original site at Laurel and Prospect Streets.
Indianapolis Baptist Temple is founded.  Initially, the congregation holds services in the pavilion at Long Acre Park, but it later rents a store at 3033 South Madison Avenue.
1951 The Granada Theater closes and the building is bought by the G.C. Murphy Company.
Arthur’s Music Store opens at 931 Shelby Street.
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis establishes the parish of St. James the Greater.  The new parish is named in memory of the late Rev. James M. Downey and in honor of his patron saint, James the Greater.  The parish is to serve the south side near Garfield Park.
1952 St. Roch dedicates its present church at Sumner and Pennsylvania Streets.  Prior to this, the congregation had met in a combination church/school located at 3600 South Meridian Street.
Fletcher Place Community Center dedicates a new $90,000 building at Fletcher Avenue and Noble Street.
1953 St. James the Greater Catholic Elementary School is dedicated.  Built at a cost of $350,000, the school is the first portion of the overall building program to be completed.
Emmerich Manual Training High School moves into a new $4,250,000 building at 2405 South Madison Avenue.
The former site of Emmerich Manual Training High School is designated the Harry East Wood School following an extensive $350,000 renovation.  Originally intended as a vocational school, Wood High School becomes the city’s eighth public high school the following year.
1954 Fountain Square’s fountain is moved to Garfield Park.  The following year, the statue is moved into the conservatory.
Rev. James W. “Jim” Jones establishes the Community Unity Church, an integrated congregation, at Hoyt and Randolph Streets.
School No. 64 is scheduled to open.  The school costs an estimated $480,000 and is located at 2710 Bethel Avenue.
University Heights Evangelical United Brethren Church moves into its present building at Hanna and Otterbein Avenues.
Concerned over the “lack of activities for children,” a group of southside schools and local “business and professional men” form the South Side Youth Activities Council.
The Barrington Heights project is completed.  Begun in 1949, the housing project is built on a 30-acre tract bound by Keystone Avenue, Rural Street, the Belt Railroad, and Minnesota Street.  Built for an estimated cost of $1.5 million, Barrington Heights is intended to provide housing for 310 African-American families with a fixed monthly rental fee of $50 per unit.  Two additional housing projects, Minocqua Courts and Perkins Courts, are soon built adjacent to Barrington Heights, expanding the boundaries of the entire community to State Street, Prospect Street, Sherman Drive, and Bradbury Street.
1955 English Trolley Coach is discontinued and replaced by motor bus.  Fountain Square neighborhood merchants call for destruction of Shelby Street trolley barns for parking.  Barns are razed in 1957.
A $400,000 greenhouse is added to Garfield Park.
1956 Calvary Tabernacle and Calvary Christian School are enlarged.
1957 City announces plans to use federal highway funds to construct a highway system connecting to a proposed interstate road network.  Local plans call for an outer belt encircling the city, as well as freeways connecting with downtown Indianapolis.
Fountain Square stores meet competition when Twin Aire-Center, one of the city’s first malls, opens on Southeastern Avenue
Greater Southside, Inc., is formed by church leaders, merchants, and residents dedicated to the development of a greater Southside economically, socially, spiritually, educationally, and culturally.  The area’s borders are designated as Washington Street, White River, State Road 421, and the Johnson County Line.
1959 St. Timothy’s new Southside Episcopal Church organized.
St. Roch Catholic Elementary School dedicates a new $200,000 addition.
Under the guidance of Rev. Greg Dixon, Indianapolis Baptist Temple moves into a new $115,000 building located at 2635 East Street.  The new sanctuary has a seating capacity of 1,100.
1960 The Fountain Square Theater closes.
St. John’s United Church of Christ begins a new building further south in Southport.
Proposed plan for interstate highways includes roads through the Fountain Square neighborhood.  State officials begin purchase of homes, businesses, and churches in the highway right-of-way.
The Greater Southeast area’s total population falls to 70,771.
1961 Opening of Southern Plaza Shopping Center attracts shoppers away from Fountain Square stores.
Emmaus Lutheran Church constructs a new education building and opens a kindergarten.
WGEE broadcasts the daily show of popular radio personality Jimmie Logsdon.
1963 University Heights Hospital, a private and not-for-profit long-term care facility, is organized at 3300 Carson Avenue.
1964 Residents of Fountain Square and other neighborhoods in the path of the proposed interstate protest prices offered for homes and businesses.  Community Service Council of Indianapolis urges additional aid for displaced families.
Father Joseph Wade of St. Patrick creates the Fountain Square-Barrington Recreation Project.
All units within the Barrington Housing Project are now hooked up to city gas for heat and cooking purposes.
1965 Emmerich Manual Training High School drops “Training” from its official name.
1966 Sacred Heart Catholic High School becomes the John F. Kennedy Memorial High School.
The Southside Citizens and Area Development organization is formed.
Indiana Central University dedicates the Louis Schwitzer Center.
1967 Indianapolis Baptist Temple dedicates a larger sanctuary, with a seating capacity of 2,500, on a seven-acre tract.
1968 Founding of United Southside Community Organization (USCO) at a meeting held at St. Patrick’s School.
Members of Fletcher Place United Methodist Church and the Fletcher Place Community Center lead a drive to create the Southeast Neighborhood Health Center, a public health facility, at 630 Virginia Avenue.
John F. Kennedy Memorial High School merges with another facility to form Roncalli High School.
Following years of neglect, the Barrington Heights and Perkins Courts housing projects are purchased by Flanner House Homes, renovated at a cost of $7.2 million and renamed Stone-Key Village.
1969 The fountain is returned from Garfield Park Conservatory to Fountain Square.
USCO and the Southeast Pastor’s Alliance co-sponsor a meeting on behalf of southside homeowners to address dislocation from highway construction.  Despite protests in the affected neighborhoods, construction begins on a portion of I-70 on the west side as well as I-65 on the northwest side.
The Prospect Branch Library moves to 1831 East Prospect Street.
The Metropolitan Board of Park Commissioners agrees to allow the Fletcher Place Community Center to be operated as a Parks Department recreation center.
1970 The Greater Southeast area’s population declines to 66,300.
USCO, in cooperation with Atterbury Job Corps, provides classrooms in St. Patrick and School No. 112 for a ten-week course for high school dropouts to receive a diploma.
Sacred Heart Catholic Elementary School is closed.
The Well Baby Clinic moves from Barrington Heights (Stone-Key Village) to the Douglas South Center at 1624 Quill Street (the site of the former School No. 19).
1971 Construction begins on portions of the I-65/70 inner loop on the southside.
The Community Service Council reports that the area has not only lost population, but that remaining residents have little access to social services.
Indianapolis Baptist Temple establishes a school for grades K-12.
1972 Pentecostal Church of Promise is founded at 1468 English Avenue.
With federal grant money and in cooperation with local citizen groups, the City of Indianapolis creates the Southeast Multi-Service Center, one of several in the city.
1973 The Salvation Army establishes its Fountain Square Corps at 1337 South Shelby Street.
Central Wesleyan Church moves into the Fountain Square neighborhood, locating at 1225 South Laurel Street.
The congregation of Southside Baptist Church opens a school for children grades kindergarten through 12 at 1401 Pleasant Run Parkway, South Drive.
The Concord Center receives an $80,000 grant from Lilly Endowment to initiate a neighborhood development plan.
Rev. Nathaniel A. Urshan, pastor of Calvary Tabernacle from 1949 to 1977, serves as chaplain of the U.S. House of Representatives.
The Barrington Health Center opens at 3114 Bethel Avenue under the direction of the Health and Hospital Corporation of Marion County.
1974 The South Central Catholic School Program is implemented.
The Near Southside Community Development Corporation is formed.
Maude Loevenbruck, a Harvard University anthropology student, conducts an eight-week study of the Concord community.  The study is sponsored by the Concord Center with a grant from the Lilly Endowment.
1975 Samuel P. Lorber’s Saloon, which opened in 1885, closes.
1976 The stretch of I-65 and I-70 traversing the Fountain Square and Fletcher Place neighborhoods opens.
1977 Rev. Nathaniel A. Urshan of Calvary Tabernacle is elected general superintendent of the United Pentecostal Church International, headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.
Operation of Barrington Health Center is taken over by Methodist Hospital of Indiana, Inc.
1978 A number of Southside community groups pool resources to form the Fountain Square Consortium of Agencies.
Fountain Square becomes a “treatment area” for Community Block Grant funds.
Time, a neighborhood association dedicated to street, sidewalk and curb repair, and fire and police protection, is formed.
Harry E. Wood High School is closed as a public school.
1979 Fountain Square Fletcher Place Investment Corporation (FSFPIC) is founded with Community Development Block Grant Program funds.
From a federal grant, $115,901 is earmarked for revitalizing the area appropriated for Fountain Square’s fountain.
1980 The Greater Southeast area’s population declines by almost 11 percent from 1970, to 59,033.
FSFPIC hires BFH & Associates (of Cambridge, MA) to prepare a study on “Fountain Square Revitalization Opportunities.”
Calvin Fletcher School, located at 520 Virginia Avenue, closes.
IPS relocates its Day Adult High School program to Tech High School, and the former Wood High School building is purchased by Indianapolis Christian Schools.
1981 Garfield Park begins closing at 10 p.m. in an attempt to discourage teenagers and young adults from congregating there nightly.
1982 Fletcher Place is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1983 The Fountain Square business district is placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Metropolitan Development Commission declares the near southeast side to be an Urban Renewal Area.
An Appalachian Heritage Program is offered by the Fountain Square Girls Club.
The Fletcher Place Historic Preservation Association withdraws its membership from the United Southside Community Organization.
Indiana Central University dedicates its new $5.5 million Ruth Lilly Center for Health and Fitness.
After serving as the national secretary and Indiana chairman of the Moral Majority, Rev. Greg Dixon leaves the group in order to found his own organization, the American Coalition of Unregistered Churches.
1984 Fountain Square is placed on the Indianapolis Historic Commission’s list of adopted districts so that special attention is focused on rehabilitating the area.
Several streets are blocked off for food and music at the first annual “Symphony in the Square,” which is sponsored by the Fountain Square Merchant’s Association.
The former Sacred Heart Convent is converted into the Holy Family Shelter.
University Heights Hospital relocates to a new $15 million facility located at 1402 East County Line Road.
1985 The United Methodist Board of Missions donates the former Fletcher Place United Methodist Church building to FSFPIC.
The Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission refuses to grant a variance to the United Methodist Board of Missions of Indianapolis for a proposed prisoner rehabilitation program at 410 South College Avenue.
Calvary Tabernacle dedicates its new $5 million sanctuary.
1986 Life Unlimited Christian Church is founded at 720 South Randolph Street.
Indiana Central University changes its name to the University of Indianapolis.
The Holy Rosary-Danish Church district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1987 The Indianapolis Metropolitan Development Commission approves the Garfield Park/Pleasant Run Neighborhood Plan prepared by the Commission’s Division of Planning.
The former University Heights Hospital on Carson Avenue is purchased by Dr. Larry Davis, of the Davis Psychiatric Clinics, at public auction for a bid of $325,000.
Southern Plaza Shopping Center loses both of its major department stores, J.C. Penny Co., and Blocks.
A fire is set by an arsonist at the Garfield Park Conservatory.
1988 The Indianapolis Downtown Antique Mall opens on Virginia Avenue.
Members of the Carson-Heights Neighborhood Association vote to oppose a plan to develop the former University Heights Hospital into a psychiatric evaluation center.
Trimble Hall, a dorm at the University of Indianapolis, suffers $625,000 in damages during a fire.
1989 Public School No. 39 is rebuilt on the site of Finch Park at 1733 Spann Avenue.
Emmaus Lutheran Church’s food pantry expands operations to cover the entire 46203 ZIP code.
Southern Plaza completes a $4 million renovation program that began in 1987.
Calvary Tabernacle assumes the sponsorship of Indiana Bible College, which is located at 3350 Carson Avenue—the campus of the former University Heights Hospital.
1990 The Greater Southeast area’s population is estimated at 54,295—almost a 9 percent drop from the previous decade.
School No. 39 takes part in a pilot program for IPS involving the use of a school-wide computer system and two special exploratory centers.
After thirty years in Southern Plaza, the F.W. Woolworth store closes.
1991 Helen Fehr helps found the Fountain Square Church and Community Project.
1992 A tornado destroys 20 percent of Garfield Park’s trees.
1993 The Fountain Square Neighborhood Association hosts its first Home Tour in June.
Faced with a dwindling membership and spiraling maintenance costs, Edwin Ray United Methodist Church closes.
1994 The Prospect Branch Library relocates to 1066 Virginia Avenue and changes its name to the “Fountain Square Library.”
St. Paul’s (Evangelical) Lutheran Church closes its downtown location, and the congregation begins meeting in Perry Township.
Southeast Umbrella Organization (SUMO) is organized under the auspices of the Goldsmith Administration.
Emma Donnan and Henry W. Longfellow Middle Schools are listed among the top 20 schools in IPS reporting the most crimes.
The University of Indianapolis dedicates the Christel DeHaan Center of Fine Arts.
 1995 Southeast Community Organization (SECO) forms and implements neighborhood clean-up, anti-drug marches, and crime-watch programs.
Indianapolis Police Department’s new South District Headquarters opens at 1150 South Sanders Street.
Ball State University conducts planning charette for the Fountain Square business district under the auspices of SUMO.
The Fountain Square neighborhood becomes a focus of The Polis Center’s Project on Religion and Urban Culture.
SEND and the Concord Community Development Corporation begin a $4.7 million renovation of the Briggs Flats and the B&B Apartment Building as well as the construction of thirty-two townhouses on the 1300 block of South Talbott Street.
The IRS revokes the tax-exempt status of Indianapolis Baptist Temple.
Indianapolis Public School Superintendent Esperanza Zendejas places School No. 18 on warning and School Nos. 20, 21, 31, 34, 39, and 64 on probation for poor academic performance.  Henry W. Longfellow, Emma Donnan, and Frederick Douglass Middle Schools are also placed on probation.
1997 The Polis Center expands its work in the Fountain Square Neighborhood to include the greater southeast side of Indianapolis.